In the world of Recipe Creation, things don’t always go as planned. ?
I planned to create a sweet, cinnamon-y coffee cake, because coffee cake makes me happy. Sugar and flour do not make me happy… in the long run. ?
But I wanted to try Stevia because it one of the most natural sweeteners without sugars, instead of Erythrol or anything processed. (I think it’s good to rotate these things until we know more science about these relatively new creations…)
My “coffee cake” was not a coffee cake at all.
But it came out great: comforting, sweet and savory, nutty, and completely satisfying. Kind of like a grain-free “whole wheat” tasting breakfast bread. Or a buttery Norweigan tea cake. Unexpected… but still 100% comfort food!
Savory Nutty Snack Cake (Grain-Free, Sugar-Free)
- 1 1/2 Cup Almond Flour This would probably taste great with cassava or Tiger Nut if you're nut-free, may need to make some adjustments or add 1 tsp. unflavored gelatin though.
- Powdered Stevia to Taste I used 3 "shakes" - you could sweeten with something else but it will change the texture. 🙂
- 2 tsp Cinnamon
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- 4 Eggs
- 1/2 Cup Full-fat Canned Coconut Milk
- 3 Tbsp Melted Grassfed Butter
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 2 Tbsp Melted Grassfed Butter
- 1 Tbsp Melted Coconut Oil
- 1/3 Cup Almond Flour
- 1/3 Cup Chopped Nuts I used pecans & sliced almonds. Shredded unsweetened coconut would also be yummy!
- Powdered Stevia to Taste I used 1 more "shake"
- 1 1/2 tsp Maple Syrup
- 1/8 tsp Sea Salt
- Heat oven to 350.
- Whisk flour, stevia, cinnamon and baking powder together in a bowl.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the eggs, coconut milk, melted butter and vanilla.
- Mix cake ingredients together and place in a 9X9 glass pan coated with cooking spray.
- Mix together all the Crumb ingredients and spread/sprinkle it over the cake.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Enjoy! It tastes great with butter! If you are tracking your Macros and need more carbs- it would taste great with fig or fruit-sweetened jam or applebutter.