Family. Comfort. Food.
Is it wrong to feel guilty when you eat something that is so cozy, so comforting that it fuels not just your body, but your soul?
My mom is a great cook! This is her (mostly- sorry Mom) original version of one of my family favorites growin up.
It takes a little time to put together; but you can do it ahead of time if you have a busy day!
Need a Low Carb, Dairy or Grain Free version? Just click here– I’ve got you covered! ?
Tangy Tortilla Casserole (GF)
- 9X13" Pan
- A big skillet of some kind.
- 1 lb Grass-fed Ground Beef Please get Grass Fed. It's way better for you. ?
- 1 Onion
- 1 1/2 Cloves Garlic Minced
- 1/2 tsp Cumin
- 1/2 tsp Oregano
- 2 15-oz can Tomato Sauce Muir Glen is my favorite!
- 1 Pt Lowfat Cottage Cheese
- 1 Egg
- 8 Corn Tortillas
- 3 Cups Grated Jack Cheese*
- 1 1/3 Cups Grated Cheddar Cheese* *I sometimes use 2 Bags Trader Joe's Organic Mexican Cheese Blend. #wayeasier.
- 7-8 oz Canned Green Chilis
- Brown meat, onion, cumin, garlic and oregano in a skillet.
- Drain and return to skillet.
- Add tomato sauce and simmer for a bit until it thickens.
- Combine cottage cheese and egg.
- Fun Time! Spray your 9X13" pan with cooking spray, then layer ingredients like this:
- 1) 1/2 - 1/3 Meat Sauce;
- 2) Shredded Jack cheese (or about 2/3 of the cheese you chose);
- 3) Green Chilis;
- 4) Tortillas (I lay mine out like mini overlapping blankets... just make a single layer);
- 5) Cottage cheese & egg mixture;
- 6) Top with the rest of the meat sauce & cheddar (or rest of the) cheese!
- Bake at 350 for 30-40 minutes; casserole will be browned and bubbly;
- Let stand at least 5 minutes before digging in. This makes a HUGE difference!!