Some people can’t handle grains.
Have you found that grains in general make you feel less than optimal 😕 Things like wheat, rice, corn, etc.
Are you following a low-carb or “ketogenic” diet?
If so, this recipe is for you! 🎉Just as comfy-cozy as the original, this makes a layered Mexican-inspired dish on top of an almond-flour base. There’s even a dairy-free option!
Check out my Resources page for links to some of the products I like to use. YUM! ENJOY! ❤️
Tangy "Tortilla" Casserole (Low Carb/Grain Free with Dairy Free Option!)
- 8X8" Glass pan.
- A medium skillet of some kind.
- A blender.
- 1 1/4 cup Almond flour
- 1 Egg
- 1 tbsp Olive oil
- 1 tbsp Lime juice
- 1/2 tsp Sea salt
- 1/2 lb Grass Fed Ground Beef
- 1 clove Garlic
- 1 cup No-sugar added Tomato sauce
- 1/2 tsp Cumin
- 1/2 tsp Oregano
- 1/2 tsp Onion powder
- 1 cup Canned coconut cream Make sure not to use milk- use the actual cream!
- 2 Eggs
- 1/2 tsp Tapioca or Arrowroot Starch (flour)
- 1/8 tsp Cream of Tartar
- 1 8-oz Bag Shredded Mexican Cheese Blend* *OR... 2 T Nutritional Yeast for Dairy Free! It's so good!
- 4 oz Canned green chilis
- Preheat Oven to 350;
- Spray a 8X8" pan with cooking spray;
- Combine the Almond flour, egg, lime, sea salt and olive oil. Squish it into the bottom of the pan like a pie crust- but totally flat. Don't let it rise up on the sides;
- Bake this for 10 minutes at 350;
- While the bottom layer is baking, brown meat and spices in a skillet;
- Drain (unless you want to keep all the fat) and add the tomato sauce, simmering until it thickens slightly.
Creamy "Cheese" Layer
- In a blender- combine the coconut cream, 2 eggs, tapioca (or arrowroot) and Cream of Tartar together- blend from low to high intensity for about 30 seconds, or until frothy;
Assemble the Casserole
- Now the exciting part! Layer the sections on top of your par-baked crust in this order:
- 1) Most of the meat sauce;
- 2) 2/3 of the Bag o'Cheese... OR 1 Tbsp of Nutritional yeast;
- 3) All of the Green Chilis (spread them around evenly);
- 4) The creamy "cheese" sauce;
- 5) The rest of the meat sauce- it's okay if it doesn't cover the whole top;
- 6) The rest of the cheese... OR 1 Tbsp of Nutritional yeast.
- Bake at 350 for 30 minutes;
- Let this rest for 10 minutes. I recommend NOT skipping this step even though it smells so amazing at this point you'll want to. 😁