Family. Comfort. Food.
Is it wrong to feel guilty when you eat something that is so cozy, so comforting that it fuels not just your body, but your soul?
My mom is a great cook! This is her (mostly- sorry Mom) original version of one of my family favorites growin up.
It takes a little time to put together; but you can do it ahead of time if you have a busy day!
Need a Low Carb, Dairy or Grain Free version? Just click here– I’ve got you covered! ?
Tangy Tortilla Casserole (GF)
- 9X13" Pan
- High-walled skillet or very large saucepan
- 1 Pound Grass-fed Ground Beef Grass-Fed, grass-finished is the healthiest. Check out Butcherbox.com for affordable sourcing.
- 1 Onion
- 1½ Cloves Garlic
- ½ tsp Cumin
- ½ tsp Oregano
- 2 15-oz Can tomato sauce Muir Glen is the BEST here!
- 3 Cups Grated monterey jack cheese*
- 1⅓ Cups Grated cheddar cheese* *I modify the original recipe- I use about 3 cups total (aka two packages #easy) of an organic mexican cheese blend for the whole recipe. Hopefully Mom is okay with this.
- 1 Pint Lowfat cottage cheese
- 1 Egg
- 8 Corn tortillas NEW! For a quick grain-free swap try the new Siete Almond Flour tortillas- I can get them at my local Costco- check the refrigerated section.
- 7-8 Oz Canned green chilis
- Brown meat, onion, cumin, garlic and oregano in a skillet.
- Drain if needed and return to skillet.
- Add tomato sauce and simmer for a bit until it thickens.
- In a separate bowl (or Cottage cheese container) combine cottage cheese and egg.
- Fun Time! Spray your 9X13" pan with cooking spray, then layer ingredients like this:1) 1/2 - 1/3 Meat Sauce;2) Shredded Jack cheese (or about 2/3 of the cheese you chose);3) Green Chilis;4) Tortillas (I lay mine out like mini overlapping blankets... just make a single layer);5) Cottage cheese & egg mixture;6) Top with the rest of the meat sauce & cheddar (or rest of the) cheese!
- Bake at 350 for 30-40 minutes; casserole will be browned and bubbly;
- Let stand at least 5 minutes before digging in. This makes a HUGE difference!!