Some people can’t handle grains.
Have you found that grains in general make you feel less than optimal ? Things like wheat, rice, corn, etc.
Are you following a low-carb or “ketogenic” diet?
If so, this recipe is for you! Just as comfy-cozy as the original, this makes a layered Mexican-inspired dish on top of an almond-flour base. There’s even a dairy-free option!
Check out my Resources page for links to some of the products I like to use. YUM! ENJOY! ❤️
Tangy "Tortilla" Casserole (Low Carb/Grain Free with Dairy Free Option!)
- 8X8" Glass pan
- A medium high-walled skillet or large sauce pan
Bottom Layer ("Crust")
- 1¼ Cup Almond flour
- 1 Egg
- 1 Tbsp Olive oil
- 1 Tbsp Lime juice
- ½ tsp Sea salt
- ½ Pound Ground Beef Grass-fed, grass-finished is healthiest; check out Butcherbox.com for affordable sourcing.
- 1 Clove Garlic
- 1 Cup Tomato sauce- no-sugar-added!
- ½ tsp Cumin
- ½ tsp Onion powder
- ½ tsp Oregano
"Cheese" Layer (non-dairy)
- 1 Cup Canned coconut cream Make sure not to use milk- use the actual cream!
- 2 Eggs
- ½ tsp Tapioca or Arrowroot starch (flour)
- ⅛ tsp Cream of tartar
- 1 8-oz Bag Shredded Mexican Cheese Blend* *OR... 2 T Nutritional Yeast for Dairy Free! It's so good!
- 4 Oz Canned green chilis
- Preheat Oven to 350
- Spray a 8X8" pan with cooking spray
- Combine the Almond flour, egg, lime, sea salt and olive oil. Squish it into the bottom of the pan like a pie crust- but totally flat. Don't let it rise up on the sides;
- Bake this for 10 minutes at 350
- While the bottom layer is baking, brown meat and spices in a skillet
- Drain (unless you want to keep all the fat) and add the tomato sauce, simmering until it thickens slightly
Creamy "Cheese" Layer
- In a blender- combine the coconut cream, 2 eggs, tapioca (or arrowroot) and Cream of Tartar together- blend from low to high intensity for about 30 seconds, or until frothy
Assemble the Casserole
- Now the exciting part! Layer the sections on top of your par-baked crust in this order:1) Most of the meat sauce;2) 2/3 of the Bag o'Cheese... OR 1 Tbsp of Nutritional yeast;3) All of the Green Chilis (spread them around evenly);4) The creamy "cheese" sauce;5) The rest of the meat sauce- it's okay if it doesn't cover the whole top;6) The rest of the cheese... OR 1 Tbsp of Nutritional yeast.
- Bake at 350 for 30 minutes
- Let this rest for 10 minutes. I recommend NOT skipping this step even though it smells so amazing at this point you'll want to.