Strawberry Rhubarb Crisp Your Way
This version is super low-sugar, gluten-free, totally comforting and can be easily tweaked to fit your dietary needs!
One medium and one really big bowl
Wooden (or regular mixing) spoon
Pastry blender (or fingers work fine too! ?)
- 6 Cups Rhubarb Sliced about 1/2" thick.
- 1 Pound Strawberries Hulled & Quartered.
- 1 1/4 Cup Lakanto Granulated Monkfruit Sweetener Or granulated sweetener of choice.
- 3 Tbsp Tapioca Starch Cornstarch would work; I just don't really like to eat corn.
- 2 tsp Fresh Lemon Juice
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1 Stick Unsalted Butter Softened. Coconut Oil (or Butter Flavored Coconut Oil) would be a nice dairy-free sub!
- 1 Cup Coconut Palm Sugar Adjust to taste! Lakanto or Swerve Golden would be a good sub. (or Brown Sugar of course ?)
- 1 1/2 Cup Gluten Free Flour I used King Arthur. Grain Free- a nut flour or meal of some kind would be yummy.
- 1 1/4 Cup Gluten Free Rolled Oats I'd use sliced almonds or pecan pieces for a grain-free option.
- 3 Tbsp. Mild (Light) Olive Oil
- 1 1/2 tsp Cinnamon
- 3/4 tsp Pink Sea Salt
In a bowl, toss the Rhubarb with 3/4 cup Lakanto (or Swerve or regular) sugar.
Let that sit for about 15 minutes, stirring every once in a while.
In a BIG BOWL (trust me, mine overflowed ?) toss the strawberries with the remaining 1/2 cup of Lakanto and let it sit for about 10 minutes, stirring every once in a while.
Using a slotted spoon, transfer the rhubarb to the big strawberry bowl, leaving behind the rhubarb- juice that has pooled on the bottom.
Add the tapioca, lemon juice and vanilla and stir well.
Spread this on the bottom of a 9X13" pan.
While you're waiting for your fruit, combine all topping ingredients together in a big bowl. A wooden spoon works really well for smushing everything together with the softened butter.
Use a pastry cutter or your fingers to mix until large crumbs form.
Sprinkle the topping evening over the filling.
Bake uncovered for 30 minutes.
Reduce temperature to 350 and bake for another 30 minutes, until the fruit is bubbling and the top is nice and golden brown.
Let the crisp rest for 10-20 minutes before serving.